Environmental Data at Your Finger Tips
StrataSim (Formerly Terrain Server) provides supplemental environmental data for client applications, preventing individual applications from requiring a sizable terrain or weather database located on the same computer. Instead, clients can query Terrain Server from anywhere on the network for the specific data needed.
STRATASIM PROVIDES THE FOLLOWING TYPES OF DATA:
- Terrain – Uses elevation data to respond to client requests for the altitude of a specific area or line of sight verification between a set of points.
- Weather – Provides the client with weather conditions for a specific area or possible weather conditions effects on a radio signal transmissions between two locations.
- Bathymetry – Responds to client requests with information about a specific area’s elevation offset from the mean sea level, which can be used to find water depth or topography elevation.
- Water Awareness – Provides clients with information about the location of bodies of water, including finding the nearest body of water from a given point and determining if a line between two points intersects a body of water.
- Road Routing – Uses road data to determine the location of roads and calculate the shortest road route between two locations.
- Map Imagery – Provides clients with map tiles to build and display maps that utilize terrain data.
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS AND SPECIFICATIONS:
StrataSim runs on Windows 7 or later operating systems.
StrataSim uses elevation data to respond to client requests for the following:
- The altitude of a given point or two-dimensional grid.
- The slope of the terrain in a specific area.
- Verification of line of sight between a set of points.
The greater the number of elevation points available in the terrain data, the more precise the response.
A number of terrain data formats are supported.
StrataSim accommodates elevation requests using either WGS84 or EGM96 reference systems.
- Define a terrain area to load.
- Manage the amount of memory available to StrataSim for processing requests.
StrataSim provides clients with weather conditions at a given point or two-dimensional grid, or atmospheric signal attenuation (i.e. weather effects on radio signals) between two locations. Weather data is supported for the standard GRIB 2 file format, which provides weather conditions associated with geographic regions. StrataSim supports weather data from these files for the following weather conditions:
- Precipitation per square meter
- Lighting strikes (occurrence only)
- Dry air pressure
- Geopotential altitude
- Relative humidity
Using this data, StrataSim can either respond to the client with weather conditions at a point or in a two-dimensional grid, or calculate atmospheric signal attenuation between two points and provide that data to the client.